[vlc] Re: vlc not playing VDR/DVB transport stream (while mplayer does!)

Jean-Paul Saman saman at natlab.research.philips.com
Tue Oct 15 14:01:31 CEST 2002

Tristan Leteurtre wrote:
> On Mon, Oct 14, 2002, Jean-Paul Saman wrote:
>
>>>Because we do not have any stream of this format. What is it ? MPEG-2 TS ?
>>>We may work on it if you upload a sample of it to our FTP site.
>>
>>NO, probably it is AV/PES format (Convergence.de proprietary ;-( )
>>created by the VDR program.
>

> Is this a very used format ?

Depends on which version of VDR is used. The first version of about a
year ago (or some more) used the AV/PES format, because the DVB driver
produced these. The DVB-S card produces AV/PES period, the format is
AFAIK owned by Convergence.

Since about version 0.9.3 the DVB driver produces Mpeg2-TS for DVB-S
cards (you know which shit it actually produced and called it a Mpeg2-TS
stream ;-)).
Luckily that use of AV/PES is abandoned by the DVB driver and Mpeg2-TS
is produced instead (for DVB-S boards that is). With your patch of the
DVB driver 0.9.4 VLC should be capable of reading that Mpeg2-TS, because
it then adheres to standards.

 > If yes, wouldn't it take 1 ms to implement
 > that in vlc, since the specs are so simple ?

Are you willing to risk using a proprietary format in vlc? even when it
is simple ? *I hope not* it would infect vlc source code!

--
Kind greetings,

Jean-Paul Saman

Software Architect

e-mail (work): saman at natlab.research.philips.com
phone  (work): 040 27 42909
Ordina TA,
Science Park Eindhoven 5602, Postbus 293, 5600 AG Eindhoven
e-mail : jean-paul.saman at ordina.nl
phone  : 040 2601200
fax    : 040 2601199