[vlc] Re: is it ok to include your program, donate graphics?

Bill Eldridge bill at rfa.org
Wed Oct 16 17:04:04 CEST 2002

Samuel Hocevar wrote:
> On Wed, Oct 16, 2002, Bill Eldridge wrote:
>

>>I believe simply making the source code available,
>>such as a publically available Web or ftp site,
>>is sufficient, instead of requiring it on the same media.
>

>    The FSF does not believe that a Web or FTP site is enough to comply
> with section 3 of the GPL. When doing the written offer, one has to
> study the possibility of someone without Internet access. Of course
> complying with 3.b is enough, but we prefer to suggest 3.a, especially
> when the media is large enough that a few additional megabytes do not
> matter; people not familiar with the GPL will be happy to get rid of
> anything legally binding as soon as possible.

Alright, I can agree with your reasoning and don't want to be a
bonehead, though on a 660 Meg CD, 2 megs might be the difference between
an additional binary package or two, or the source code.

To play devil's advocate, I'd note that almost every binary software
CD I've ever had was fairly obsolete by the time I got it except for
specific Linux releases, so if I were to want to do development
I would 99% of the time download a new version.

But I've also lived lots of backwards places with say 2400 bps
ham radio links to the internet and understand that "Just download
a new version" isn't always an option.

Cheers,
Bill
--