[vlc] Re: DVDs and OS 10.2

Samuel Hocevar sam at zoy.org
Thu Oct 31 10:24:46 CET 2002

On Wed, Oct 30, 2002, Al M. wrote:

> You may have heard that Mac OS 10.2 will not play some DVDs. The
> problem is related in some way to Panasonic's authoring DVD recorders.
> Apple is aware of the problem but they do not have a solution. 10.2
> does not see the VIDEO_TS folder. 10.1.5 has no problem seeing this
> folder. VideoLan in 10.2 does not see the Video_TS folder either but
> if I choose the "open disk" command, the invisible VIDEO_TS  plays.
> However the menu on the DVD never appears. Does anybody have a clue on
> what is going on here?

   Hey, does this mean that VLC is able to play DVDs that Apple's player
is unable to play?

   My guess at what is going on is a bug in the UDF driver (UDF is the
DVD filesystem, a derivative of iso9660) in OS X. I suppose Apple's
player uses the operating system's filesystem driver, while VLC has its
own internal driver and directly accesses the DVD (basically byte by
byte).

   As for the menu never appearing, it's because menu support is only
beginning to appear in the development tree.

--
Sam.