[vlc] Re: RPC2 drives and MacOS X

Samuel Hocevar sam at zoy.org
Thu Oct 31 10:44:06 CET 2002

On Thu, Oct 31, 2002, Serge Cohen wrote:

> [vlc.app/Contents/MacOS] cohen% setenv DVDCSS_METHOD disc

   Do you get the same issues with the "title" method?

> It seems to me that libdvdcss is able to crack the disk key but for some
> reasons fail on the title key (which as far as I understood should be
> easy to get if one already have the disc key, right?)

   If the disc allows us to retrieve it, it's trivial. However we cannot
always fool the RPC2 protection scheme. What is happening is either a)
Matshita having understood why the usual RPC2 implementation sucked, or
b) OS X trying to be clever and preventing us to read from a disc if
there is a region mismatch.

   If a) is happening, the only solution I can think of is to change the
drive's region, but I'm not well aware of region-free hacks wandering
around.

   If b) is happening, it's a bit more exciting because we can look for
the problem. What might be interesting is the exact kernel error for the
"read error", under Unix I'd use strace or truss, is there anything like
this available under OS X?

> Is this a known problem, or only a problem on MacOS or even on a certain
> type of machines?

   This problem was already reported once or twice, but none of the
reporters had Linux on their Ti to double check the behaviour. Would
you have Linux installed by chance?

--
Sam.