[vlc] Re: RPC2 drives and MacOS X

Serge Cohen cohen at embl-grenoble.fr
Thu Oct 31 11:50:07 CET 2002

Hi;

Thanks for the quick answer.

2. What strace and truss good for?
3. I don't have Linux, but if necessary can try to have it.

I'll try to provide more info:

The problem is the same what so ever I'm using as method (disc, title
and ... -don't remember the name now-).

About the strace and truss utility, what are they performing? (ie. I
don't know them, I've not been hacking with kernel so far, but look
forward giving a try). As a first answer I don't have any program with
these names on my system (using both which and locate), but very likely
the utility exist with other names.
In short, tell me what they are good for, I'll try to find them (and use
them).

About Linux, so far I don't have it. But I'm getting an external hard
disk soon and can install it on (hoping it's start on FW on linux),
other wise I can also have it on the internal drive, but I prefer to
avoid that (have to change disk, things are to precious on the disk I
have in for the moment).

Serge.

PS: I'm quiet motivated on this one: I really dislike CSS, and it looks
that the RPC1 firmware for this drive will take time (which make me
worried that everything is look from the drive, your case a.)

Le jeudi 31 octobre 2002, à 10:44 , Samuel Hocevar a écrit :

> On Thu, Oct 31, 2002, Serge Cohen wrote:
>
>> [vlc.app/Contents/MacOS] cohen% setenv DVDCSS_METHOD disc
>
>    Do you get the same issues with the "title" method?
>
>> It seems to me that libdvdcss is able to crack the disk key but for
>> some
>> reasons fail on the title key (which as far as I understood should be
>> easy to get if one already have the disc key, right?)
>
>    If the disc allows us to retrieve it, it's trivial. However we cannot
> always fool the RPC2 protection scheme. What is happening is either a)
> Matshita having understood why the usual RPC2 implementation sucked, or
> b) OS X trying to be clever and preventing us to read from a disc if
> there is a region mismatch.
>
>    If a) is happening, the only solution I can think of is to change the
> drive's region, but I'm not well aware of region-free hacks wandering
> around.
>
>    If b) is happening, it's a bit more exciting because we can look for
> the problem. What might be interesting is the exact kernel error for the
> "read error", under Unix I'd use strace or truss, is there anything like
> this available under OS X?
>
>> Is this a known problem, or only a problem on MacOS or even on a
>> certain
>> type of machines?
>
>    This problem was already reported once or twice, but none of the
> reporters had Linux on their Ti to double check the behaviour. Would
> you have Linux installed by chance?
>
> --
> Sam.

Serge Cohen