[vlc] Re: RPC2 drives and MacOS X

Serge Cohen cohen at embl-grenoble.fr
Thu Oct 31 12:24:21 CET 2002

I don't have a DVD here (work), I'll try tonight and send you both logs.

I don't know the way to avoid automatic launching of Apple's player
under X.2, but I'll try to hide it in a strange place of the HD
(otherwise I'll just gnutar it).

I'll also try to find the equivalent of strace, I remember having used
once a su utility to log devices access.

Serge.

Le jeudi 31 octobre 2002, à 12:07 , Samuel Hocevar a écrit :

> On Thu, Oct 31, 2002, Serge Cohen wrote:
>
>> The problem is the same what so ever I'm using as method (disc, title
>> and ... -don't remember the name now-).
>
>    That would be "key". I'd be interested in a verbose output with the
> title method, maybe after a cold reboot and absolutely minimal disc
> manipulation (I heard there was a way to disable the automatic launch
> of Apple's player in X.2).
>
>> About the strace and truss utility, what are they performing?
>
>    They trace system calls and kernel answers. Under Linux for instance,
> running "strace dd if=/dev/cdrom skip=10000000" (an attempt to read far
> beyond the end of the device) outputs, amongst a lot of other lines:
>
> open("/dev/cdrom", O_RDONLY|O_LARGEFILE) = 0
> _llseek(0, 5120000000, [5120000000], SEEK_CUR) = 0
> read(0, 0x8051000, 512)                 = -1 EIO (Input/output error)
>
>    It might give hints on what the kernel says, and after which dvdcss
> operation it starts really complaining.
>
> Regards,
> --
> Sam.