[vlc] Re: RPC2 drives and MacOS X

Samuel Hocevar sam at zoy.org
Thu Oct 31 12:07:41 CET 2002

On Thu, Oct 31, 2002, Serge Cohen wrote:

> The problem is the same what so ever I'm using as method (disc, title
> and ... -don't remember the name now-).

   That would be "key". I'd be interested in a verbose output with the
title method, maybe after a cold reboot and absolutely minimal disc
manipulation (I heard there was a way to disable the automatic launch
of Apple's player in X.2).

> About the strace and truss utility, what are they performing?

   They trace system calls and kernel answers. Under Linux for instance,
running "strace dd if=/dev/cdrom skip=10000000" (an attempt to read far
beyond the end of the device) outputs, amongst a lot of other lines:

open("/dev/cdrom", O_RDONLY|O_LARGEFILE) = 0
_llseek(0, 5120000000, [5120000000], SEEK_CUR) = 0
read(0, 0x8051000, 512)                 = -1 EIO (Input/output error)

   It might give hints on what the kernel says, and after which dvdcss
operation it starts really complaining.

Regards,
--
Sam.