Bill Eldridge bill at rfa.org
Mon Sep 2 13:49:43 CEST 2002

Pierre Baillet wrote:
> On Mon, Sep 02, 2002, Bill Eldridge wrote:
>
>>Okay, this is great - here's a mailing list that won't
>>put its name in the Subject, and a poster who won't
>>put his topic in the Subject.  I get 400 e-mails a
>>day, including lots of "Hey Friend", or "Re: your mail",
>>or other spam.
>>
>>So I will be cancelling all my videolan subscriptions and
>>just read the archives unless someone starts tacking
>>on [VLC], [VLS], [VLS-devel], etc.  ANd no, I don't
>>want to run procmail on Mozilla-Windows.
>>

> For those of you who want do this sort with mozilla:
>
> In your mailer:
> . _Tools menu, Message _Filters, _New, click on the subject drop-down
> box,
> . choose customise, type X-list in the box, Add, Select, OK
> . open the drop down box, select X-list, "is", vlc (or vls or vls-devel),
> . choose your destination folder, OK
>
> That's all.
>
> No need to procmail, no need to add a useless flag in your subject, just
> use your mailer.

So now if I just want to read my mail in my Inbox,
how do I use X-list to change the Subject to:

[vlc] .....
[vls] ...
[vlc-devel] ...
???

If I change folders, then from home it takes 5 minutes to
sync my Inbox back again. And I don't like changing folders.
And I've been using e-mail for 12 years now and this is
the way I like doing it.  And now you want me to set up
another filter for every maillist on each of the mailers
I use (1 Windows/1 Linux at work, 1 Windows/1 Linux at
home, 1 Windows/1 Linux on my laptop). And every subscriber
has to do this.

I just don't understand why you guys can't do a mailing list
like everybody else does it, which means none of your subscribers
has to lift a finger (and yes, the first time I mentioned
this, the answer I got back was, "Use Procmail"). Of course
if I want to filter the Subject line on "[VLC]" I can do
that as well.  If I want. Or use Ctrl-Shift-F and search
VLC in Subject. If I want.

--
Bill Eldridge
Radio Free Asia