subject line tagging

Bill Eldridge bill at rfa.org
Mon Sep 2 17:59:08 CEST 2002

Samuel Hocevar wrote:
> On Mon, Sep 02, 2002, Bill Eldridge wrote:
>

>>I just don't understand why you guys can't do a mailing list like
>>everybody else does it, which means none of your subscribers has to
>>lift a finger (and yes, the first time I mentioned this, the answer I
>>got back was, "Use Procmail").
>

>    I wonder who « erverybody else » is.

ffmpeg
starship
xml-sig
4suite
archaeopteryx
demudi
exist
V4L
Webware
wingide
xvid
php classes
portaudio (hey, I'm admin :)
swig
tritonus

plus dozens I've unsubscribed to.

Note: I can understand NOT using the tag
for the Linux kernel list, since there the
information in the Subject line often
contains kernel version, description of
problem, PATCH, Oops, or other identifier,
bug output, etc., not that [LK] or equiv
would break the character bank.

>    I understand your requirements and I agree that if you don't want to
> use additional tools and you also don't want to use extra mail folders,
> then your only chance is subject tagging. But think about other people
> who probably don't use the same tools as you. For instance, my display
> is 80 character wide; having a tag like [libdvdcss-devel] eats a third
> of the space allocated for the subject in the thread window. They really
> are a visual annoyance to me.

And [VLC] eats up 5 characters, 6 including the space.
The [Prefix] doesn't have to be the same as the list name.
My viewable Subject line right now is 34 chars unless I expand
it. I see:

    Re: VideoLAN Client v0.4.4 freezes...
    VideoLan for mac 8.6
    Re: vlc and ffmpeg
    Vlc and QT 6 Final
    Re: subject line tagging

which would be about the same as:

    [VLC] Re: VideoLAN Client v0.4.4 f...
    [VLC] VideoLan for mac 8.6
    [VLC] Re: vlc and ffmpeg
    [VLC] Vlc and QT 6 Final
    [VLC] Re: subject line tagging

Anyway, I've beaten this to death for the 3rd
time, and I don't think bringing it up a 4th
will change anything.

Regards,
Bill

--