Codecs DivX

Samuel Hocevar sam at zoy.org
Tue Sep 10 11:10:27 CEST 2002

On Tue, Sep 10, 2002, Fabien ILLIDE wrote:

> I wonder if I only have to install VLC in order to play DivX and other
> media type (ie codecs inside VLC) or if I must install codecs speratly.
> (like those on divx.com and so on)

   Yes, VLC is standalone and does not use external codecs. One reason
for this is the license: we cannot link VLC with libraries that are not
compatible with the GPL unless they are part of the underlying operating
system, which those on divx.com are not.

   It is also less trouble to debug a codec if we have its source code,
and having the source lets us port it more easily to all the platforms
we support.

Regards,
--
Sam.