please help: INPUT_MAX_ALLOCATION reached!!!

Jochen Steinbicker j.steinbicker at rz.hu-berlin.de
Tue Sep 10 14:27:24 CEST 2002

Hi
another try ... more details, more testing done ...

THE PROBLEM: trying to play a particular .avi file with divx5 content (no
audio!) makes vlc 0.4.4 on MacOSX (PB G3-400) crash; massage is:
"INPUT_MAX_ALLOCATION reached"

This is the console.log:
VideoLAN Client - version 0.4.4 Ourumov - (c) 1996-2002 VideoLAN
input init: AVIH: 1 stream, flags  HAS_INDEX IS_INTERLEAVED
input init: video(05XD) 704x384 24bpp 25.000000fps (size 0)
input init: no audio stream found !
This file was encoded with DivX501 Build481
INPUT_MAX_ALLOCATION reached (21037056)

It is a movie I have encoded myself, so I could try around with different
settings (I have successfully encoded movies and played them on vlc
smoothly). File Size: around 100-200 MB
POSSIBLE REASONS (I COULD THINK OF):
=> that were ruled out:
- it is a vlc-specific problem: qt plays the movie (though very slow, as
always with the divx5 codec on a g3-400) (and it is not a problem with
large avi files, if you have read my last mail)
- it is not a problem with the source movie; I have done a smaller encode
(lower bitrate of about 95 kB/s; width of 514 pix instead of 704/720) which
works fine with vlc
- it is not a problem with processor load; there are movies with higher
compression which vlc plays neatly
- it is not related to b-frames

=> that are not ruled out yet:
- too much data coming in??? (I did the encode with 1840 kbit/s, but thats
not really high, is it?)
- other divx5 settings??? but why on this movie, not on others???

I hope someone has some more ideas, i am running out ... Or is this some
kind of very strange bug which i should report??

Thanks,
js