please help: INPUT_MAX_ALLOCATION reached!!!

Jochen Steinbicker j.steinbicker at rz.hu-berlin.de
Tue Sep 10 16:43:28 CEST 2002

At 15:11 10.09.2002 +0200, you wrote:
>On Tue, Sep 10, 2002, Jochen Steinbicker wrote:
> > THE PROBLEM: trying to play a particular .avi file with divx5 content (no
> > audio!) makes vlc 0.4.4 on MacOSX (PB G3-400) crash; massage is:
> > "INPUT_MAX_ALLOCATION reached"
>
> > - it is not a problem with processor load; there are movies with higher
> > compression which vlc plays neatly
> > - it is not related to b-frames
>
>  Hi, It would be hard to help you. If you succed in compiling vlc for
>MacOSX it would be easier( I can send you some patch to see where is the
>problem ...)

=> how does that make it easier? is it not compiled for osx, and thats it?
(i just don't know)

>  I 'm still thinking that it could a problem with you processor load.
>I've you try to play it on a more powerfull computer ? ( I don't know
>why, but I v'e already seen some divx5 encoded movies that eat a lot of
>processor. Could you try to encode this movie with the same parameters
>with XviD or ffmpeg ? )

divx5 does eat a lot of processor, but the one that makes it crash still
leaves some % of processer free; and besides, it should just skip frames if
there is too much to decode, right? but what it does is it fills up its
buffer until its filled and crashes ... (if it helps, i can post the crash.log)

>  Does it segfault after only a few seconds ? If so, you could upload a
>part of this movie, I will have a look at it.

what does segfault mean? if it helps, i can ul a part, sure.

thanks so far,
js