vlc multicast, network interface

Jean-Paul Saman jpsaman at wxs.nl
Sun Sep 22 12:08:57 CEST 2002

Olivier wrote:
>>What do you mean by "not able to see it" ? Are you sure the packets reach
>>your vlc ?
>

> yes i'm sure, i can see them with "tcpdump -i eth1"
> ant it works on another pc using eth0 on the same LAN.

Are you sure? The vlc log does not say it is joining a multicast
address. If it did it would say "join"!

How did you start the other vlc then?

>>Does you vlc open a video window, do you have error messages
>>lauching 'vlc -vvvv' ?
>

> no, it doesn't open the video window, only the toolbar.

Anyway in the menu view there is a Message item, use this to see the
messages.

>>If your multicast stream adress is 239.2.12.42 (for example), try to
>>launch :
>># vlc -vvvv -iface eth1 udp:@239.2.12.42

Do not forget the right port number! Default in vlc is 1234 maybe you
are sending on another?