[vlc] Re: vlc wont work

Michael S.Zick mszick at goquest.com
Fri Apr 18 03:17:46 CEST 2003

On Thursday 17 April 2003 02:40 pm, Warren Hrach wrote:
> On Tue, 15 Apr 2003, Michael S.Zick wrote:
> >
> > Hint:
> > ftp://ftp.xfree86.org/pub/XFree86/4.3.0/
> > Mike
>
> Mike,
>     Sorry to say that is another can of worms for me.  After trying ftp,
> sftp and mozilla all I can say is screw it.  If I can't find an rpm that
> all I need to do is type 'rpm -i xxx.rpm' I just cannot get this updated |

Sorry, I should have been more helpful...
(There is a 00README there that sezs: ...sources only for right now...)
Let me try again...

Problem 1) When binaries of XFree86 are built (what you need for "rpm -i ...")
for a very new XFree86 (or anything else for that matter), they will first be
built to require the most recent versions of everything else.
Translation:
If your system was released before the XFree86-4.3.0; then it will be
awhile before it gets built for older systems - perhaps never.
So -
1a) You could just wait (and watch the XFree86 site for what you need).
Or -
1b) Build it yourself, with the help of the RPM commands -
->use one of the RPM archives to find whatever your looking for...
->http://rpmfind.net
->enter: XFree86 in the box; press search
->Grok listing
-?Is there an RPM for the version of XFree86 and your system?
-A: No
->Click on the one that sezs: XFree86-4.3.0-3.src.rpm
->Save it to disk
->enter: rpm --rebuild {where_ever_you_put_it}/XFree86-4.3.0-3.src.rpm
->make your current directory: /usr/src/redhat/RPMS/{your cpu}/
and there you should find the binary rpms, custom compiled for
your system, ready for you to do your: rpm -i ... to them.

You might want to do a test run before doing the "--rebuild" -
check your installed docs for details...
->info rpm
and/or
->man rpm

Best of luck