[vlc] Thanks- can I help?

Catherine Nolan catfishbird at yahoo.ca
Mon Apr 28 02:05:53 CEST 2003

Hello.

  First of all, I want to thank you for your excellent
program.  About three weeks ago, I came across your
website while looking for software to stream video
over our home LAN.  I knew absolutely nothing about
open-source software, but your website impressed me so
much that, after downloading VLC on both of our
Windows machines, I did some more research on projects
like yours.

  Anyway, I ended up getting a copy of Linux (Debian,
woody) and setting it up on my computer.  It has to be
one of the best moves I've made in my life- I was
running Win ME, and I haven't missed it.  I installed
VLC as soon as I got my LAN configured, and I was
(once again) blown away by the quality of your work.
Which brings me to my second point.

  VideoLAN is so much more powerful in Linux!  I was
having some trouble in Windows because our network
wasn't too fast- I ended up being able to stream VCDs,
but not DVDs.  However, it looks like this is easy to
get around in Linux (I haven't tried yet) by using the
command-line options.  Even the 'Preferences' dialog
box is easier to use in Linux!

  Does VLC accept command-line syntax in Windows?  And
can I help document it (or anything else) for Windows
users?  The FAQ isn't really point-and-click oriented,
and I have to feel sorry for them - they don't have
man pages.

  I'd like to help if I could.  Although I'm not
really experienced in Linux, I've read enough Windows
help screens to understand their style of writing, and
I enjoy writing and proofreading.  It's the least I
could do to thank you.

  --Catherine