[vlc] Re: Comments on 0.6.1, plus Subtitle questions

Edward Lloyd Hillman ehillman at iamdigex.net
Fri Aug 1 02:21:46 CEST 2003

On Thu, 31 Jul 2003, Sigmund Augdal wrote:

> On Thu, Jul 31, 2003 at 07:23:43AM -0400, -= Shrubbery =- wrote:
> > So I've picked up the new version of the VLC, and am so-far pleased with
> > the progress.  However, I have a few questions regarding subtitle support.
> >
> > I'm very pleased that I can now select my own font (MacOS X Version, I
> > wasn't able to do this with standard fonts before).  However, I'm a little
> > sad to see that subtitles are now rendering on the left/bottom part of the
> > video, and don't seem to support being centered.  Now, I understand this is
> > the first release version that is using the freetype library for text
> > rendering, and while I'm sure that's making a whole new world of things
> > possible, it leaves me with two questions...
> During my life I've seen lots of movies, tv-series and other things with
> subtites, in theaters, on tv and dvd and never, ever have I seen something
> with subtitles centered. I really do not see why so many people want's it to
> be that way. But I do see that many people want it that way, so I will
> implement it, as an option of course, since I want the subtitles left aligned.

[snipped]

I buy a lot of Japanese live-action and animation DVDs, both R1's released here in the US and R2's released in Japan.  In both cases centered English subtitles (if they exist) are the norm and left-justified are the exception.  I suspect a lot of this has to do with the standards of the various DVD authoring houses and what the releasing companies want.

--
Edward Lloyd Hillman
Signature?!?  I don't need no stinking signature!!