[vlc] Re: #Transcode - mpga (a52->mpga) 6 channels to 2 Channels transcoding

Gildas Bazin gbazin at netcourrier.com
Fri Aug 1 21:34:17 CEST 2003

On Friday 01 August 2003 13:34, Simon wrote:
> Many thanks for fixing AC3 to mpga transcoding problem I reported earlier
> (CVS version). It now defaults to 2 channels (stereo) which is even better
> (see my original email below).
>
> However, this is causing problems in a number of DVDs I have. I hear
perfect
> background music, but some of the conversation channels are barely
audible.
> I presume the transcoding route picks up 2 predefined  channels. Ideally,
> all 6 channels should be mixed into 2 channels. Alternatively, is there a
> way of selecting which 2 audio channels get copied to mpga format?

To be honest this is currently a hack. We just pick the front left and right
channels and discard the others.

But we are moving towards reusing the audio filters architecture that has
been developped for the audio outputs with the transcoder as well. This
will take some time but once it is done it will be a lot more powerful as
it will allow to reuse the downmixing, resampling, etc.. filters we already
have.

--
Gildas