[vlc] Re: Can see only the beginning of DVD

Sebastien Fievet sebastien.fievet at free.fr
Tue Aug 12 09:35:10 CEST 2003

On Mon, 11 Aug 2003 23:40:19 +0200
Gildas Bazin <gbazin at netcourrier.com> wrote:

> On Monday 11 August 2003 23:04, M. Parcheur wrote:
> > On my dualboot system, with win98, audio and video are perfect; under RH9
> I have already had some problems with the soundcard
> > (Motherboard is MS-6547 and the soundcard is SIS 7012)
> > As root and user I tried vlc: same problem under KDE and fluxboox.
> > In case I install a new soundcard, which one do you recommand ?
> > Thanks
> >
> > M. Parcheur
> >
> > >Looks like it's a sound driver problem.  Which desktop are you running?
> >

> I doubt it is a soundcard problem. The alsa debug message is normal and
> happens because the alsa plugin tries to probe for S/PDIF support but your
> card doesn't have it (S/PDIF is an interface to connect to external
> amplifiers/decoders).
>
> Could you try to play your DVD without the "menus" support ?
>
> --
> Gildas

I am experiiencing the very same problem, but after a longer time of playback
(~10 minutes) :
VLC-0.6.1 + alsa plugin (alsa v0.9.5) -> VLC crashes after ~10 min.
VLC-0.6.1 + esd plugin (esd using alsa-0.9.5) -> good playback apart from a
small desynchro between video and audio (the audio is late).

At the moment i use the esd plugin as a workaround, since it works fine (not
taking into account the desyhnchro problem), but i 'd rather use ALSA directly,
because i believe it will work faster than esd...

Hope you will sort this ALSA problem out!

Regards, Sebastien