[vlc] Re: no sound

Karim Nassar karim at karimnassar.com
Fri Aug 15 19:50:24 CEST 2003

Gildas Bazin wrote:
> On Thursday 14 August 2003 22:07, Karim Nassar wrote:
>
>>A little more detail on its behavior:
>>
>>The file loads into VLC, song information (title/duration) is displayed,
>>the Play button disables, as if it is actually playing. However, there
>>is no sound, no action on the playback slider, and the time counter
>>doesn't move.
>>
>>Also, the VLC process fails to die upon closing the program window (I
>>have to manually kill it).
>>

> Hmmm weird, I tried on Win2K and the file plays perfectly. No problems
> whatsoever.
> Could you have a look at the logs in the messages window and see if there is
> anything suspicious  ? (you'll need to check the verbose checkbox).

Here's the output from the message window:

--------------------------
dvdread warning: dvdread module discarded (not a valid source)
vcd debug: trying .cue file: C:\My Music\Japanese - Various\Anime Mix\04.cue
vcd warning: could not open C:\My Music\Japanese - Various\Anime Mix\04.mp3
cdda debug: trying .cue file: C:\My Music\Japanese - Various\Anime
Mix\04.cue
cdda warning: could not open C:\My Music\Japanese - Various\Anime Mix\04.mp3
access_file debug: opening file `C:\My Music\Japanese - Various\Anime
Mix\04.mp3'
main debug: using access module "access_file"
main debug: looking for demux module
main debug: probing 17 candidates
mp4 warning: MP4 plugin discarded (not a valid file)
avi warning: avi module discarded (invalid header)
asf warning: ASF v1.0 plugin discarded (not a valid file)
ts_dvbpsi warning: TS module discarded (no sync)
ts warning: TS module discarded (no sync)
flac warning: flac module discarded (no startcode)
es warning: ES module discarded (no startcode)
wav warning: WAV module discarded (not a valid file)
au warning: AU module discarded (not a valid file)
main debug: looking for id3 module
main debug: probing 1 candidate
id3 debug: Checking for ID3 tag
main debug: using id3 module "id3"
main debug: unlocking module "id3"
mpga debug: version=1 layer=3 channels=2 samplerate=44100
main debug: selecting ES 0x1
main debug: looking for decoder module
main debug: probing 17 candidates
main debug: using decoder module "mpeg_audio"
main debug: thread 2360 (input) created at priority 15
(src/input/input.c:180)
main debug: playing at normal rate
main debug: thread 2404 (decoder) created at priority 2
(src/input/input_dec.c:112)
main debug: using demux module "mpga"

> Could you also try to reset your preferences settings to see if that changes
> anything ?

How do I do that?

--Karim