[vlc] Re: Trying to get started

Jean-Paul Saman saman at natlab.research.philips.com
Tue Dec 2 09:13:04 CET 2003

Les LaZar wrote:
> Jason,
>
> The VIA EPIA-M Mini-ITX MB has an integrated video display controller that
> is identified as "Castle Rock graphics with MPEG2 decoder" in the hardware
> manual and was simply identified as "VESA Generic" by Red Hat when
> installed.  Specific Linux drivers for the integrated video on the CLE266
> chip are available from VIA, but I have not attempted to install them (last
> time I attempted to upgrade my kernel, I made my system unbootable and had
> to reinstall 8-(  ).  I can review the Viarena Linux Support Forum to see if
> there is an easier way to get an optimized display driver  for this
> motherboard.

You need to update your XFree86 server with their X driver. I'v done it
on my hush ;-). It was a simple patch (correct a include path) and
compile. I used the original RH 9 XFree86 RPM's for this.

If you wish I could try to find the RPM used. Unfortunately it will have
to wait till wednesday evening. Is that alright for you?

I am also planning to write a VLC decoder plugin on the CLE266, but this
will take more time.

--
Kind greetings,

Jean-Paul Saman