[vlc] vlc --program option to stream a dvb channel

Martin Gramatke xmit at gmx.de
Sun Dec 21 10:50:19 CET 2003

Hi,

in the videolan howto there is an example how to stream a dvb channel with
vlc:

vlc -vvv --program 8211 dvb:12597000:0:3:27500000 --sout udp:192.168.0.12
--ttl 12

This does not work with my skystar2 dvb-s card: "dvb input debug:
ioctl_SetFrontend: tuning status == 0x03!!! ...tuning failed".

I think, this is because the magic numbers in the command line example select
a channel I don't have. Possibly it is Hotbird, but I have Astra 19.2 :-(
vlc -H and its online documentation doesn't mention the --program option at
all.

Can someone please explain, how to start vlc with a satellite channel of my
choice? Thanks a lot.

Finally I want to watch TV with my notebook which is connected by 802.11b
wireless lan with the linux server that has a skystar2 dvb-s PCI card. Please
let me know, if this isn't possible anyway.

best regards
Martin