[vlc] Re: A few questions

Pete Martin petemartin at ntlworld.com
Sat Feb 1 11:40:37 CET 2003

Sabbia

> > This is strange, since this address is not in the allowed range of
> > multicast IP addresses...
>
> I'm sure that the multicast UDP address is 24.xxx.x.x :12345
> I'm inside a very big LAN, so that IP isn't probably published on
Internet.

According to RFC1112 (the Multicast 'standard')

---------snip---------
Host groups are identified by class D IP addresses, i.e., those with
   "1110" as their high-order four bits.  Class E IP addresses, i.e.,
   those with "1111" as their high-order four bits, are reserved for
   future addressing modes.

   In Internet standard "dotted decimal" notation, host group addresses
   range from 224.0.0.0 to 239.255.255.255.

I suspect you have copied the address incorrectly. My guess is that it
should be
224.x.x.x

Pete