[vlc] Re: [ANN] VLC 0.5.0

yakima at clbry.de yakima at clbry.de
Tue Feb 4 00:48:31 CET 2003

Wow! Finally!
This is a great release and a real step forward - and i have anciously
waited for it

Just some observations i have made using vlc 0.5.0 on MacOSX - i really
don't have time for anything more detailed (verbose output and the
like), but i wanted to give some feedback on some maybe trivial issues
(all using the gui) and maybe find out if others know more/ experience
the same:
- i guess divx-subtitles do not work yet for macosx? (if they do: how?)
- strangely enough, there are no shortcuts for some useful controls,
e.g.: pause, play
- is it really a wanted behavior that vlc starts playing files
immediately, same if paused and the slider is moved?
- responsiveness of the program is not too good at least on older macs
(g3-400); as soon as you mess with e.g. screen size, you have to be
rather patient (could that be some bug?) - even more testing: when
playing a dvd, vlc does not let anything interfere, no force quit, only
a forced restart (or is there a way to tell vlc to quit?)
- strange as well, fullsceen playback of divx content seems to be
slower than normal size (before it was rather the other way around)
- (this again pertaining to slower macs) it seems that the ffmepg codec
is slower on mp4 files than on avi files; is there a reason for that?
do mp4 files need to be hinted for better playback even if used locally?
- is there any documentation on the various options, particularly
ffmpeg (i have checked the docs, looked around ffmpeg)?

Well, thanks once more for this nice app, hope i don't bother you too
much ...
yakima