[vlc] Re: [ANN] VLC 0.5.0

Derk-Jan Hartman d.hartman at student.utwente.nl
Tue Feb 4 17:50:13 CET 2003

On dinsdag, feb 4, 2003, at 00:48 Europe/Amsterdam, yakima at clbry.de
wrote:
> Just some observations i have made using vlc 0.5.0 on MacOSX - i
> really don't have time for anything more detailed (verbose output and
> the like), but i wanted to give some feedback on some maybe trivial
> issues (all using the gui) and maybe find out if others know more/
> experience the same:
> - i guess divx-subtitles do not work yet for macosx? (if they do: how?)
well you figured this one out i see (reading the list ;)

> - strangely enough, there are no shortcuts for some useful controls,
> e.g.: pause, play
Hmm, tried hitting the spacebar yet ;-) Only the most common shortcut
to play/pause a video in most Media Players.

> - is it really a wanted behavior that vlc starts playing files
> immediately, same if paused and the slider is moved?

It doesn't always play files immediately. If you use the Open dialog
and tell it to enqueue and not play or if you drag and drop files in
the playlist then they don't start to play immediately. If you
double-click a file,  drag and drop it on the vlc icon or use the open
File menu it plays immediately. I'm thinking about changing the default
value in the Open dialog to "Always enqueue" for the next release
though.

> - responsiveness of the program is not too good at least on older macs
> (g3-400); as soon as you mess with e.g. screen size, you have to be
> rather patient (could that be some bug?) - even more testing: when
> playing a dvd, vlc does not let anything interfere, no force quit,
> only a forced restart (or is there a way to tell vlc to quit?)

Well, with the previous version everyone was complaining that they
wanted higher thread priorities, so we changed this. This isn't meant
to happen of course. we will tweak this for the next release.

> - strange as well, fullsceen playback of divx content seems to be
> slower than normal size (before it was rather the other way around)

might be, because the fullscreen view is scaled i guess. It is rather
so that we probably cleaned up the normal windowed view, that it now
finally is in the state it should be.

> - (this again pertaining to slower macs) it seems that the ffmepg
> codec is slower on mp4 files than on avi files; is there a reason for
> that? do mp4 files need to be hinted for better playback even if used
> locally?

No idea. The mp4 file handling is newer then the .avi and probably less
optimized.

> - is there any documentation on the various options, particularly
> ffmpeg (i have checked the docs, looked around ffmpeg)?

Hmmmm, no. You are welcome to write it ;) And don't forgot that if you
hover the mouse over a textfield or something usually a textpopup shows
explaining it's function.

> Well, thanks once more for this nice app, hope i don't bother you too
> much ...
> yakima

Never a bother.
greetings Derk-Jan Hartman

> On Montag, Feb 3, 2003, at 20:09 Europe/Berlin, Sam Hocevar wrote:
>
>>    The VideoLAN team is absolutely delighted to announce version 0.5.0
>> of VLC, the most beautiful cross-platform multimedia player that has a
>> traffic cone as its logo, codenamed "sleeping is for weenies".
>>

>>    It is our extreme pleasure to deliver the following long-awaited
>> major features:
>>
>>     - DVD navigation
>>
>>     - new stream output architecture, allowing to act as a stream
>> server
>>
>>     - new audio output architecture, with S/PDIF support,
>> multi-channel
>>       support, volume setting
>>
>>     - new codecs: Ogg/Vorbis, AAC, ADPCM, Xvid, DV, and many more
>>
>>     - support for DivX subtitles
>>
>>     - a Mozilla plugin based on VLC
>>
>>     - localization support
>>

>>    Unfortunately the feature list would be too long to post here, and
>> spam filters would block it because there is so much sexy stuff in it,
>> thus we suggest you have a look at the release notes here:
>>
>>      http://developers.videolan.org/vlc/NEWS
>>

>>    You can download VLC for most operating systems here:
>>
>>      http://www.videolan.org/vlc/
>>

>>    Enjoy!
>>
>> --
>> Sam.