[vlc] Re: VLC on LTSP?

Jean-Paul Saman saman at natlab.research.philips.com
Thu Feb 13 08:41:41 CET 2003

Anurag Phadke wrote:
> Dear Sam,
> I am not talking about DVD but normal mpegs and avis and dat files being
> streamed over the network with sound.
> I tried using mplayer on LTSP (some 120 sec avi file(not in full screen
> mode)) and it worked fine.
> For LTSP though we have a 100mbps n/w, we can only allocate 3/4mbps
> (max) / client.

Then you cannot do files that are created from DVD's, because a DVD
requires about 8/9 Mbps bandwidth.

> Is it possible with such low b/w availability?

Yes if you downscale your MPEG and AVI to within that bandwith
requirement ;-). Otherwise though luck ;-)

--
Kind greetings,

Jean-Paul Saman

Software Architect

e-mail (work): saman at natlab.research.philips.com
phone  (work): 040 27 42909
Ordina TA,
Science Park Eindhoven 5602, Postbus 293, 5600 AG Eindhoven
e-mail : jean-paul.saman at ordina.nl
phone  : 040 2601200
fax    : 040 2601199