[vlc] Query on OS X encrypted DVD playback

Michel Alexandre Salim mas118 at york.ac.uk
Mon Feb 17 02:51:58 CET 2003

Hello,

My new computer is a Powerbook that unfortunately has an RPC-2 DVD
drive with no currently available firmware flash update. As such I am
extremely wary of setting it to any regions.

The question is whether it is possible to play back encrypted DVDs in
this configuration, or whether I have to select *any* region, then VLC
will play back DVDs from all regions?

Currently I cannot play back encrypted DVDs - I get the following:
using experimental menu, on a region-2 DVD:

main debug: adding playlist item ´ dvdplay:///dev/rdisk3 ª
main debug: creating new input thread
main: playlist item `dvdplay:///dev/rdisk3'
main debug: waiting for thread completion
main debug: access `dvdplay', demux `', name `/dev/rdisk3'
main debug: looking for access module
main debug: probing 2 candidates
dvdplay debug: dvdroot=/dev/rdisk3 title=0 chapter=1 angle=1
main debug: thread 33716272 (input) created at priority 34
(src/input/input.c:157)
dvdplay error: cannot open /dev/rdisk3
dvdplay debug: dvdroot=/dev/rdisk3 title=0 chapter=1 angle=1
dvdplay error: cannot open /dev/rdisk3
main warning: no access module matching "dvdplay" could be loaded
main error: no suitable access module for `dvdplay/:///dev/rdisk3'
main debug: thread 33716272 joined (src/input/input.c:191)

otherwise,

main debug: adding playlist item ´ dvdold:///dev/rdisk3@1,1 ª
main debug: creating new input thread
main: playlist item `dvdold:///dev/rdisk3@1,1'
main debug: waiting for thread completion
main debug: access `dvdold', demux `', name `/dev/rdisk3 at 1,1'
main debug: looking for access module
main debug: probing 2 candidates
dvd debug: dvd=/dev/rdisk3 raw= title=1 chapter=1 angle=1
main debug: thread 33549616 (input) created at priority 34
(src/input/input.c:157)
dvd error: dvdcss cannot open device
dvd debug: dvd=/dev/rdisk3 raw= title=1 chapter=1 angle=1
dvd error: dvdcss cannot open device
main warning: no access module matching "dvdold" could be loaded
main error: no suitable access module for `dvdold/:///dev/rdisk3 at 1,1'
main debug: thread 33549616 joined (src/input/input.c:191)

Thanks in advance,

- Michel Salim
"It's what you learn after you know it all that counts."
-- John Wooden