[vlc] Choppy video and audio in Red Hat Linux

Marco Sanguinetti msanguinetti at attbi.com
Thu Jan 2 19:25:03 CET 2003

Hello,

I am an embedded software developer and have downloaded and installed
vlc on my machine.  I commend the VideoLAN team for bringing a DVD
player (and more) to Linux.

I am running Red Hat Linux 8.0 on my HP Vectra VL-400 PC.  It has a 1
GHz Pentium III CPU, 256 MB of RAM, and a Hitachi DVD-ROM GD-8000.  When
I attempt to run a movie on the DVD player using vlc, both video and
audio are choppy.  In addition the stream rate of the audio track
appears to accelerate.

I have read your FAQ's and HOW TO's stating that this is a known
problem.  I tried turning on DMA using your suggestion:

     hdparm -X34 -d1 /dev/dvd

but got the following error message:

/dev/dvd:
 setting using_dma to 1 (on)
 HDIO_SET_DMA failed: Operation not permitted
 setting xfermode to 34 (multiword DMA mode2)
 using_dma    =  0 (off)
[root]/home/mps
$

Based on specs it would appear that I have enough horsepower on my
machine to run vlc.  Is there anything else I can do such as increasing
buffer size to solve this problem?

Thank you for your attention regarding this problem.

Marco Sanguinetti

msanguinetti at attbi.com