[vlc] Re: Choppy video and audio in Red Hat Linux

Marco Sanguinetti msanguinetti at attbi.com
Sat Jan 4 00:50:50 CET 2003

I'm using kernel version 2.4.  I tried Paul Allen's suggestion and was
able to turn DMA on for /dev/hdd:

.bashrc complete.
[mps]~
$ cd /dev
[mps]/dev
$ kernelversion
2.4
[mps]/dev
$ ls -l hd[a-e]
brw-rw----    1 root     disk       3,   0 Aug 30 19:31 hda
brw-rw----    1 root     disk       3,  64 Aug 30 19:31 hdb
brw-------    1 mps      disk      22,   0 Aug 30 19:31 hdc
brw-rw----    1 root     disk      22,  64 Aug 30 19:31 hdd
brw-rw----    1 root     disk      33,   0 Aug 30 19:31 hde
[mps]/dev
$ hdparm -d1 hdc

hdc:
 setting using_dma to 1 (on)
 HDIO_SET_DMA failed: Permission denied  (WOOPS! I need to
 using_dma    =  0 (off)                  be superuser)
[mps]/dev
$ su
Password:

.bashrc complete.
[root]/dev
$ hdparm -d1 hdc

hdc:
 setting using_dma to 1 (on)
 HDIO_SET_DMA failed: Operation not permitted
 using_dma    =  0 (off)
[root]/dev
$ hdparm -d1 hdd

hdd:
 setting using_dma to 1 (on)
 using_dma    =  1 (on)
[root]/dev
$

After having turned DMA on for /dev/hdd (which has major number 22
corresponding to the secondary IDE controller) I still get the same
choppy video and audio.  (I also tried "hdparm -X34 -d1 /dev/hdd" but
that didn't work either).

-Marco Sanguinetti