[vlc] 0.5.0 on osx and svcd problems

System administration admin at via.ecp.fr
Wed Jan 29 19:31:56 CET 2003

----- Forwarded message from Andreas Tellefsen <xgrape at mac.com> -----

Hi,

I managed to catch a sneak-peek at the upcoming 0.5.0 version, running
under OSX. What can I say, performance seem to have improved
drastically, and some of the annoying sound glitches seem to be gone...
but, the interface looks totally horrible! It is one of the worst I
have seen, even if I admit it is slightly better than the old one.
Complaining about something that is not ready for the public yet might
be silly, but I really just hope you are not settling on this
interface. Please make something a bit more stylish.

Moving over to my real point here, I have a SVCD file (76 megs music
video) that VLC does not like very much. MPlayer has no problems with
it, but VLC has. What happens is everything seems to work fine, but
about 50 seconds out in the movie, sound start to stutter and framerate
drops. Then it stops up completely, with progress-slider still moving
along. I suppose it can be related to codec or something like that. If
you are interested, I can put the file online for you to check out.

Good luck on the coming version, it looks very promising indeed!

Regards,
Andreas Tellefsen