[vlc] Re: File type from DVD

jhhcr at earthlink.net jhhcr at earthlink.net
Wed Jan 29 20:47:08 CET 2003

I am actually looking for a way to capture. ts through firewire ports
for streaming under MacOSX
Here is my earlier post:
Any idea how to get HDTV streams onto a Mac harddrive for vlc?
Firewire ports on HDTV receivers or D-VHS recorders output MPEG2
transport streams.
On a PC you can record and view them under XP.
e.g.: http://www.webtc.com/DVHS/default.htm
You may want to try this:

HDTVtoMPEG2
Copyright (C) Ben Cooley 2002
Version 1.07

----

License:

This program is free for any and all public use and modification as
long as
the original creator of the program (myself) is credited.

----

This program converts HDTV MPEG2 tansport stream files to standard
MPEG2 video
files playable (mostly) by media player, many software DVD player
programs, and
readable by video converter programs like FlaskMPEG and Vidomi.

ATSC MPEG2 transport stream files are the raw data sent to your Digital
television
from the broadcaster, and contain multiple mpeg video and audio streams
which can
be tuned by your digital tuner.  These streams differ from standard
MPEG2 files in
that they encapsulate the standard MPEG2 stream data in small 188 byte
packets that
are easy to transmit and decode.

HDTVtoMPEG2 simply processes the .TS transport stream files, extracting
the data
from each of these 188 byte packets, and reconstructing a standard
MPEG2 file from
them.