[vlc] how to stream a live video with windows

Valery Roche vroche at univ-poitiers.fr
Thu Jul 3 11:56:47 CEST 2003

Hi list,

I have tested the streaming functionnalities of vlc by http, unicast and
multicast : it's perfect !!

But I have another need : here at University we need to stream some
videos that we acquire "live" from a Windows box. The goal is to stream
this video in multicast to many computers in the same room.
I can't use Linux because the teacher need to use NetOpSchool to control
the student's computers. I read that VLC is unable to acquire a live
flux within windows.

So I had an idea : I could acquire the source with VirtualDub (it seems
this soft writes the file in live on the HD), and then read this file
with vlc to stream it on the private VLAN. I made tests, but that's not
very good. Does anyone have an idea ?

If it works, this is a solution that can be compared to some commercial,
from Tandberg for example, but completely free !!

And it'll be better if it could work with the Pinnacle DV500.

Thanks in advance,
Valéry

P.S. I searched the archives, but found nothing about my problem, except
"use Linux". I'd like to use it but I can't in this context.