[vlc] Tonal variation in local music playback. Memory?

Karim Nassar karim at karimnassar.com
Wed Jul 9 17:20:09 CEST 2003

I've noticed an odd error with VLC when using it to play back mp3 files
from my local harddrive. It seems that the "tonal registration" of music
is somehow dependent upon available memory or CPU cycles, or perhaps HD
access.

What I mean is that when I'm playing music in the background and using
my computer for memory or processor intensive actions (photoshop,
rendering, or even large word-processor files), the music will go
noticably flat in pitch. These pitch changes seem to coincide with heavy
computer-use spikes.

I'm using VLC 0.6.0 on Win2K SP4 on a 1.133 P3 mobile w/ 512MB RAM

I've compared this effect to Winamp, and the issue is definitely with
VLC. I'm pretty sure it's not my imagination :)

--Karim