[vlc] Re: Tonal variation in local music playback. Memory?

Karim Nassar karim at karimnassar.com
Wed Jul 9 18:35:28 CEST 2003

Wow... good to know I'm not going crazy! :)

Is there anyway this could be made into an option or switch accessible
at run-time for us non-programmers? I don't have a means to compile the
source once modified.

--Karim

j.zorko at att.net wrote:

 > Karim,
 >
 > I've noticed this, too (2GHz P4, Red Hat Linux 9).  If you look in
the source code in $vlc_root/src/
 > audio_output/input.c, the aout_InputPlay() function is what causes
this.  It tries to keep the FIFOs for the decoder and the output in sync
by upsampling or downsampling the output.  I've found that increasing
the threshold (in $vlc_root/include/vlc_config.h, AOUT_PTS_TOLERANCE --
i've changed mine to (mtime_t)(.38*CLOCK_FREQ)) fixes the issue for me,
though i'm a bit wary.