[vlc] Re: Xine cannot play MPEG2-PS files created with VLC streaming

Gildas Bazin gbazin at netcourrier.com
Tue Jul 15 19:22:03 CEST 2003

On Monday 14 July 2003 20:21, Gildas Bazin wrote:

> Actually, I was talking of Windows media player's native MPEG system (MPEG
> 1) parser. I started to hack the current MPEG PS parser to be able to also
> produce MPEG system files ( so we can finally stream something that WMP
> can understand out of the box ;) and I noticed that WMP doesn't like MPEG
> system streams without system headers.

Ok, it turns out that WMP is compliant with the specs after all. MPEG system
streams (ISO/IEC 1172-1) must have at least 1 system header at the
beginning of the stream.
But afaik there isn't such a requirement for MPEG PS streams so I guess
Xine's demuxer isn't following the specs. Anyway, I implemented support for
system headers in the MPEG PS muxer so it will hopefully solve the problem.

--
Gildas