[vlc] Re: libdvbpsi error (PSI decoder): TS discontinuity

Jean-Paul Saman saman at natlab.research.philips.com
Mon Jul 21 09:21:33 CEST 2003

Mariano García González wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I'm multicasting with vls from my wintv nova. In fact, I can see video &
> sound with vlc in other machine. But video & sound is not very good, it
> is too slow.
>
> Vls log ouputs that:
> libdvbpsi error (PSI decoder): TS discontinuity
> (a lot of errors like that)

You get that error when TS packets are missing (the continuity counter
in TS packets do not match) from the stream. In this example that is on
reception.

It can mean:
1) that the cards are not initialised properly (it is known to happen
with a the old DVB drivers). The indication for this problem is that
upon a fresh reboot everything works fine, but over time when the cards
are tuned several times this problem occurs.
2) there is a bad signal from the satellite, which results in the loss
of lot of packets
3) the computer is not fast enough to read the packets from the DVB card
(but this is not very likely except when the computer has a high CPU
utillization)

> I'm using vls version 0.4.5. Maybe it can be the problem.

In any case use a more recent stable vls (e.g: vls 0.5.3).

--
Kind greetings,

Jean-Paul Saman

Software Architect

e-mail (work): saman at natlab.research.philips.com
phone  (work): 040 27 42674
Ordina TA,
Science Park Eindhoven 5602, Postbus 293, 5600 AG Eindhoven
e-mail : jean-paul.saman at ordina.nl
phone  : 040 2601200
fax    : 040 2601199