[vlc] tests of streaming using vlc stream output

Benjamin PRACHT bigben at via.ecp.fr
Mon Jul 21 09:22:40 CEST 2003

I've had  the occasion  to make  some tests  streaming using  VLC stream
output.

I was streaming several avis, from a  fibre channel disk, on a duron 900
/ 256 MB of ram / Linux 2.4.20 / Woody. I managed to launch 20 vlc in 20
different screens, streaming  20 files. The total used  bandwidth was 20
Mbit/s.

With these  20 files, the CPU  was totally used. 75%  of CPU utilisation
was system (surprising, in my opinion, I thought 20 Mbit/s, ie less than
4 MB/s of streams wouldn't stress  the IO that much...). Moreover, I had
to increase the authorised amount of processes the user could own, since
the total amount of processes was exceeding 256 (10 processes per VLC, I
think). Everything was working quite well, except the load of the server
was over 4...

I begin to have messages such as

"videolan kernel:  Out of  Memory: Killed process  2072 (vlc)."  about 3
hours after  I launched the  streamers, and  I've got such  messages for
about  two  days,  until  the  server stops  sending  data  and  crashes
(impossible to logon neither remotely, nor locally).

I've already tried vlc stream output  on that server, with only 6 files,
while the server  was streaming satellite channels  (cpu utilization was
about 100 % too), and thos worked quite well.

So, any idea about what happened ?

If you need any further information...

--
$(echo "BigBen")

<< Pourquoi faire simple quand on peut faire compliqué ? >>
Oui, pourquoi ?