[vlc] Re: Bug re-opened: vlc video rendering stops after a few loops

Christopher DeMarco cdemarco at fastmail.fm
Mon Jul 21 09:42:02 CEST 2003

On Mon, Jul 21, 2003 at 09:27:44AM +0200, Paolo Casagranda wrote:

> I  (and  a  lot of other   people)  found the installation from  the
> sources
  (snip)
> one  is the important libmpeg2).  So, does a mini-installation-howto
> exist

What  do  you  find  confrusing about  installing from  source?   What
libraries gave you problems?  I have no problems compiling from source
with RH8; here's how I do it:

1.  Get all source code;  most of it  from videolan.org but I used the
"nightly tarballs"  of  ffmpeg and  mpeg2dec.  Also   I  used the  CVS
version of vlc.

2.  Build & install all the libraries:
    cd $librarydir
    ./configure
    make
    make install

Some notes about the libraries:

After ``make  install'' you can  delete the library directory with the
exception of ffmpeg -  you'll need the source when  you build vlc (see
below)

You should install the DVD stuff in this order:
    libdvdcss libdvdread libdvdplay
Other than that it doesn't (==shouldn't) matter.

3.  Build & install vlc
    cd $vlcdir
    ./configure  --enable-esd --enable-a52 --enable-release \
                 --enable-mozilla --enable-mad \
                 --with-ffmpeg-tree=<where-the-ffmpeg-source-is>
    make
    make install
    cp mozilla/libvlcplugin.so <wherever mozilla plugins live>

Some notes about the configure -

    --enable-esd makes my sound   card work.  You  may or  may not
    need it; especially with RH9 and its ALSA stuff...

    --enable-release  supposedly  makes  things   faster;  I'm not
    curious enough to benchmark it but it's not HURT anything that
    I've noticed.  So far.

    --with-ffmpeg-tree  will  point   to   the  CONFIGURED  SOURCE
    directory - after this  you can delete  it, but make  sure you
    keep it around in case you have to recompile vlc.

Sounds easy, right?  Don't worry, it is ;)

Hey - if the wiki people get user logins working right, I'll even make
this into a mini-install HOWTO on the Wiki!

--
% You are in a maze of twisty passages, all alike.
  Christopher DeMarco
  cdemarco at fastmail.fm
  +6013 389 5658