[vlc] Re: vlc on ipaq

Jean-Paul Saman saman at natlab.research.philips.com
Mon Jul 21 10:20:41 CEST 2003

Rhea Santos wrote:
> hi again...thanks for the reply.
>
> I tried running opie-vlc udp://@:1234 on my ipaq (opie,familiar linux). This
> is the last line showed:
> 	main module debug: using access module "access_udp"
> but nothing played on the screen. (however, when I ran opie-vlc to play a
> local file, it worked.)
>
> At the server side, I tried:
> 	vls -vv -d udp:10.10.4.46 at 1234  --loop  file:/path/file.vob
> The following error messages was displayed:
> 	Thread not stop after 15s , calling interruption process
> 	Unable to start streaming of program program1
> 	Unable to init streamer
> 	Net4Output initialisation failed
> 	Unknown host 10.10.4.46 at 1234
>
> What could possibly be the problem?KIndly  help me run a streaming video on my
> ipaq from my 166Mhz PC vls server.
>
> By the way, I tried running vlsd  or the vls daemon on the pc server to stream
> video to another pc running vlc thru a telnet session. The server received
> the streaming but the audio  was choppy . The video was played on the vlc but
> it has noticeable repetiiton of  stop-play display or not as smooth as
> playing as local  video file. on vlc.

When streaming from the server side, then it is important to know how
much bandwidth will be consumed for the stream. If the bitrate is higher
then the network link can handle then the video/audio will be choppy.
For example if your video requires 8Mb/s and you have a link that
carries about 5 Mb/s effectively, then the resulting video will be
choppy because you'll lose packets on the network link.

Playing it from a local source, then the client (vlc) is in control and
can optimize its buffers to decode and display the video. Indeed this
will work better.

--
Kind greetings,

Jean-Paul Saman

Software Architect

e-mail (work): saman at natlab.research.philips.com
phone  (work): 040 27 42674
Ordina TA,
Science Park Eindhoven 5602, Postbus 293, 5600 AG Eindhoven
e-mail : jean-paul.saman at ordina.nl
phone  : 040 2601200
fax    : 040 2601199