[vlc] Re: vlc on ipaq

Jean-Paul Saman saman at natlab.research.philips.com
Mon Jul 21 12:29:54 CEST 2003

Rhea Santos wrote:
> thanks again!=)I can now view streaming video on my PC with vlc and from
> another PC running vls.Just a follow up question, besides the network
> bandwidth, would the format (mpeg,vob,avi) and the file size would make the
> difference on the quality of video output?(which format & file size(range)
> would give videolan the best quality)

Yes it will. Each codec has a certain burden for encoding and the
resulting decoding. AVI's usually requires a fast CPU. In general the
more smaller it compressed (encoded), the higher the burden upon
decompressing (decoding).

The pictures width and height also add to the required performance on
the decoder, in general the bigger the picture the more CPU power is
required.

A vob usually encompases video that has a 8 Mb/s bandwidth. MPEG 1/2 are
better suited for an iPaq when video pictures size is small and
bandwidth required is limited.

> Now, im testing vlc on my ipaq running:
> 	 opie-vlc udp://@:1234
> but the program exits due to segmentation fault.

Run it as this:

opie-vlc udp://@:1234 > error.log 2>&1

and send the resulting error log to this mailing list, please.

P.S: which opie-vlc version are you using?

--
Kind greetings,

Jean-Paul Saman

Software Architect

e-mail (work): saman at natlab.research.philips.com
phone  (work): 040 27 42674
Ordina TA,
Science Park Eindhoven 5602, Postbus 293, 5600 AG Eindhoven
e-mail : jean-paul.saman at ordina.nl
phone  : 040 2601200
fax    : 040 2601199