[vlc] libdvdcss MacOSX kernel extension

System administration admin at via.ecp.fr
Tue Jul 22 10:14:03 CEST 2003

 The attachment has been removed, it is available at
http://via.ecp.fr/~admin/20030720-videolan/IODVDStorageFamilyDeCSS_copy.sit

----- Forwarded message from Ecartis <listar at via.ecp.fr> -----
Date: Sun, 20 Jul 2003 03:54:13 +0200 (MEST)
From: Patrick Enoch <PatrickEnoch at gmx.net>

Hello, all,

so here comes the "interesting" part of the source. I deleted all
Apple-stuff, and so I think just the
libdvdcss GPLicence is the only one that remains.

There are 3 projects:

1) ProjectBuilder IODVDFamily: the driver without Apple's source-code. Have
a look at how kernel-
modules can access the DVD-data "directly". And also please comment on the
pre-scan.

2) ProjectBuilder set_decss: a tool that can enable/disable the encryption.
I was planning to write a
preference-pane, but since the whole project is "illegal", I drop that. So
all that remains is this primitive
user-client.

3) PackageMaker IODVDdecss: this package has everything: it backups the
original .kext to /backup
where a script to restore that driver is also placed. Then it installs the
set_decss tool to /usr/bin/ and the
hacked .kext to /System/Library/Extensions/.

To test the .kext use the "testIO" script in /build. But before that

BACKUP YOUR DVD-DRIVER.

Do something like

sudo cp -rf /System/Library/Extensions/IODVDStorageFamily.kext ~/

Or use the .pkg for the first time (orig driver will be backed up).

Since the SIT is so tiny, I send it to the list.

I guess I have to write that

THE WHOLE THING IS TOTALLY EDUCATIONAL AND NOT TO BE REPAIRED SO IT CAN BE
COMPILED!

Learn from it but never use it. Besides, it is too stable.

Sincerely,

Patrick

----- End forwarded message -----