[vlc] Re: libdvdcss MacOSX kernel extension

Derk-Jan Hartman d.hartman at student.utwente.nl
Sat Jul 19 01:08:52 CEST 2003

On woensdag, jul 16, 2003, at 15:05 Europe/Amsterdam, Patrick Enoch
wrote:
> I downloaded the sources for IODVDFamilyStorage (MacOSX) and I twisted
> libdvdcss  1.2.6 into it. So now I have a kernel-module that
> automatically decrypts.

Now that is really cool :)

> That really makes it easy to convert DVD -> DivX because I dont have
> to copy the DVD to harddisk via some silly extractor.
>
> Since I consider it as finished, I wanted to ask you guys whether you
> want to host that as a new project under your libdvdcss-project. I
> dont have time to work on it, and you wont have to :)

Now that is a big no no. This project of yours violates both the
license of Apple's IODVDFamilyStorage, as well as the license of
libdvdcss I was told. If I were you, I'd keep this to yourself or at
least Apple might come after you big time.

> You also might have a look HOW I twisted the library into it (mainly
> the ioctl-stuff), and I  also implemented a pre-scan that scans the
> regions on the disc and their titlekeys.

Now that specific piece of code might be interesting and not in
violation of either license, but i'm not really sure.
Anyone else who knows that?

DJ

---
Videolan - VLC media player