[vlc] HOWTO: installation of vlc from CVS on Redhat9.0

Paolo Casagranda pcasagranda at hotmail.com
Thu Jul 24 12:34:54 CEST 2003

Hi all,
I send this small HOWTO to install the latest version of vlc on a Redhat
distribution. I hope other users can in this way reduce the installation
time (if you don't know some simple tricks you risk to waste much time).

The Redhat version was 9.0 but it should work on 8.0 too.

On the system I installed the updated Mozilla 1.2.1 Browser, this is the
only difference from a standard installation.  If you installed a different
version of Mozilla too, it's necessary, after the installation of Mozilla,
to create this symbolic link:
For example, with mozilla1.2.1 in /usr/lib: ln –s mozilla1.2.1 mozilla

If you don’t need the mozilla plugin, simply don’t apply the option
–enable-mozilla when configuring vlc (last step).

Vlc installation from the source:
The example versions of the links are those used (and checked) for our
installation. Maybe that in the next months the links will be updated.

Getting all the packages:

Download vlc, libdvdcss, libdvdplay, libdvbpsi from the VideoLAN CVS
The easiest way is:
cvs -d :pserver:anonymous at anoncvs.videolan.org:/var/cvs/videolan -z3
checkout -P vlc
cvs -d :pserver:anonymous at anoncvs.videolan.org:/var/cvs/videolan -z3
checkout -P libdvdcss
cvs -d :pserver:anonymous at anoncvs.videolan.org:/var/cvs/videolan -z3
checkout -P libdvdplay
cvs -d :pserver:anonymous at anoncvs.videolan.org:/var/cvs/videolan -z3
checkout -P libdvdpsi

Download the last version of libdvdread
(http://www.dtek.chalmers.se/groups/dvd/development.shtml) e.g.:
http://www.dtek.chalmers.se/groups/dvd/dist/libdvdread-0.9.4.tar.gz

Download mpeg2dec latest CVS snapshot (http://libmpeg2.sourceforge.net/),
e.g.:
http://libmpeg2.sourceforge.net/files/mpeg2dec-snapshot.tar.gz

Download the latest CVS snapshot of ffmpeg (http://ffmpeg.sourceforge.net/),
e.g.:
http://ffmpeg.sourceforge.net/cvs/ffmpeg-cvs-2003-07-24.tar.gz

Download from the VideoLAN web site all other sources (you can download them
from http://www.videolan.org/vlc/download-sources.html).
The packages you need are:
a52dec-0.7.4.tar.gz
faad2-20030612.tar.bz2
libmad-0.15.0b.tar.gz
libid3tag-0.15.0b.tar.gz
[ libogg-20030612.tar.bz2  ]
[ libvorbis-1.0.tar.gz ]
[ libtheora-20030612.tar.bz2]
flac-1.1.0.tar.gz
[ libdv-0.98.tar.gz  ]
openslp-1.0.11.tar.gz
gettext-0.11.5.tar.gz
libiconv-1.8.tar.gz
freetype-2.1.4.tar.bz2
[ libebml-20030622.tar.bz2 ]
[ libmatroska-20030622.tar.bz2 ]
[ wxWindows-20030418.tar.bz2 ]
zlib-1.1.4.tar.gz

The packages in squared brackets have not been installed (they are not
needed for a basic installation) and I can't assure they'll install without
problems.

Installation procedure:
Install libdvdcss, libdvdread, libdvdplay and libdvbpsi (in this order)
with:
./bootstrap
./configure
make
make install

Then, untar and install all other libraries from the sources (a52dec, faad2
and so on), each with:
./configure
make
make install

Make ONLY the libmpeg2 library from mpeg2dec (compiling all mpeg2dec it's a
mess):
from ./mpeg2dec/ launch .configure
from ./mpeg2dec/libmpeg2/ launch make
This creates the library that is necessary for vlc. All other stuff is not
useful. The source tree is needed in the following steps.

Make and install the ffmpeg library:
./configure --enable-shared
make
make install

In my installation is necessary to manually copy the libavcodec.so from the
ffmpeg libavcodec folder to /usr/local/lib

Then compile and install the vlc source:
./configure  --enable-gnome --enable-a52 --enable-release --enable-mozilla
--enable-mad --enable-libmpeg2 --enable-v4l
--with-ffmpeg-tree=/home/sw/vlc_cvs/ffmpeg-cvs-2003-07-21/
--with-libmpeg2-tree=/home/sw/vlc_cvs/mpeg2dec-0.3.2-cvs/
make
make install

And then enable the mozilla plugin copying it to the appropriate folder:
cp mozilla/libvlcplugin.so /usr/lib/mozilla/plugins
cp mozilla/vlcintf.xpt /usr/lib/mozilla/components

Now you can launch vlc.

Hope it helps
Paolo