[vlc] Re: Simple OS X Streaming Instructions

Benjamin PRACHT bigben at via.ecp.fr
Thu Jul 24 22:09:10 CEST 2003

On Thu, Jul 24, 2003, Evan Miller wrote :
> OK bear with me here I'm learning

Did you choose DVD (*not* DVD (menu support))  in the open disc dialog box ?

> So the error that I'm getting is "packetizer_copy: unknown es type !!"
>
> I am trying to serve the DVD from my G4 dual running VLC and sign onto
> it running VLC on my powerbook.
>
> Now you're probably going to laugh but I put the stream output to 1234
> since that's what the input port on my client defaults to but that's
> not an acceptable port is it?

Well, that's the way it should be done

> Also, do I need to enter my Airport's static IP in "network interface
> address".  I don't want to broadcast from the airport obviously but
> everything does have to go through it - although it's basically just a
> fancy hub for the purposes of this project right?

The address you  should put in the  stream outup dialog box  is either a
multicast address if  the airport supports it, or  the broadcast address
of the subnet (won't change much on a wireless network)

> Is there a simple way to set up an ftp address and then have the other
> machines  sign on to  that ftp via  VLC? Otherwise I  need to do  it >
through ports right? I know my mail uses  port 110 and that is the end >
of my port knowledge.  > A 54 Mbit/s airport AP  will never offer enough
bandwidth  to stream  a  dvd  other wise  than  using  udp broadcast  or
multicast. Even  though, I'm not sure  you'll get a smouth  video on all
devices.

--
$(echo "BigBen")

Oui je quote, et alors ?