[vlc] Re: Simple OS X Streaming Instructions

Evan Miller djfreak at wigglemusic.com
Thu Jul 24 22:35:14 CEST 2003

A 54 Mbit/s airport AP  will never offer enough
bandwidth  to stream  a  dvd  other wise  than  using  udp broadcast  or
multicast. Even  though, I'm not sure  you'll get a smouth  video on all
devices.

I would like to try doing a udp broadcast

The address you  should put in the  stream outup dialog box  is either a
multicast address if  the airport supports it, or  the broadcast address
of the subnet (won't change much on a wireless network)

What do you mean by "the broadcast address of the subnet"?  Do you mean
the DHCP address that the airport has assigned to the broadcast host
computer (10.0.1.2 in my case) or do you mean the subnet mask of the
airport (255.255.255.0 in my case).

So assuming it's the 10.0.1.2 address would my udp that I enter in the
client powerbook machine go like this?

udp://@10.0.1.2 ???

or would it be something like

udp://dvdold/dev/rdisk1 @1,1 ???

If not then could you type out what the udp address is that I would
enter on the client machine?

Thank you so much.

Evan Miller