[vlc] Re: Problems with vlc on iPAQ with Mpeg4

Jean-Paul Saman saman at natlab.research.philips.com
Mon Jul 28 11:11:14 CEST 2003

Ralf Bruenig wrote:
> Hello all,
>
> I got some problems with opie-vlc_0.6.0_arm.ipk
> together with Mpeg4.
>
> First I tried everything on my Desktop Linux PC with vlc v0.6:
>
> vlc movie.mp4
> vlc movie.mp4 --sout file/ts://movie_mpeg4.ts
> vlc movie_mpeg4.ts
>
> And there were no trouble at all.
> But when I started it on my iPAQ I got the following problems:
>
> vlc movie.mp4      # pictures are OK, but no sound
> vlc movie_mpeg4.ts # no pictures, no sound
>
> I used the same movie-files. Therefore I have the following
> questions:
>
> Is the iPAQ version not a full implementation of vlc?

There is currently no ogg/vorbis support and some other codecs. They
will be added in the near future though. What is available can be
checked on http://www.videolan.org/vlc/features.html

> &
> What can I do to realize mpeg-4 streaming on my iPAQ?

Pray ;-)

Mpeg4 decoding needs a lot of CPU and is hardly feasible on iPaq without
some accelleration and agressively downscaling of the stream. In the
case of streaming from the iPaq I'm not sure. It will depend on how much
CPU performance is needed. Encoding of Mpeg4 from v4l device is not
possible, but transcoding might be feasible (if bitrate and picture size
is small).

--
Kind greetings,

Jean-Paul Saman