[vlc] Re: Problems with vlc on iPAQ with Mpeg4

Ralf Bruenig bruenig at berkom.de
Mon Jul 28 12:02:15 CEST 2003

Hello Jean-Paul Saman,

> There is currently no ogg/vorbis support and some other codecs. They
> will be added in the near future though. What is available can be
> checked on http://www.videolan.org/vlc/features.html
>
>> &
>> What can I do to realize mpeg-4 streaming on my iPAQ?
>

> Pray ;-)
Ok, I will contribute one candle for the project  ;-)

> Mpeg4 decoding needs a lot of CPU and is hardly feasible on iPaq without
> some accelleration and agressively downscaling of the stream. In the
> case of streaming from the iPaq I'm not sure. It will depend on how much
> CPU performance is needed. Encoding of Mpeg4 from v4l device is not
> possible, but transcoding might be feasible (if bitrate and picture size
> is small).

I got my demo video from Philips:
http://www.digitalnetworks.philips.com/InformationCenter/Global/FArticleSummary.asp?lNodeId=863&channel=863&channelId=N863A2283&lArticleId=2283
I used the 350k version of Dinner and I think it runs quit smoothly
except of some interrupts. And (of course) the sound is missing.

Regards,
Ralf