[vlc] Re: Problems with vlc on iPAQ with Mpeg4

Jean-Paul Saman saman at natlab.research.philips.com
Mon Jul 28 12:32:08 CEST 2003

Ralf Bruenig wrote:
> Hello Jean-Paul Saman,

Did you try the latest ipkg version from the website? Because that is
built with libdvbpis, faad2 and flac support in it. I just checked the
build scripts.

>> Mpeg4 decoding needs a lot of CPU and is hardly feasible on iPaq
>> without some accelleration and agressively downscaling of the stream.
>> In the case of streaming from the iPaq I'm not sure. It will depend on
>> how much CPU performance is needed. Encoding of Mpeg4 from v4l device
>> is not possible, but transcoding might be feasible (if bitrate and
>> picture size is small).
>>

> I got my demo video from Philips:
> http://www.digitalnetworks.philips.com/InformationCenter/Global/FArticleSummary.asp?lNodeId=863&channel=863&channelId=N863A2283&lArticleId=2283
>
> I used the 350k version of Dinner and I think it runs quit smoothly
> except of some interrupts. And (of course) the sound is missing.

I cann't get to the site. Could you send the file to me directly?

--
Kind greetings,

Jean-Paul Saman

Software Architect

e-mail (work): saman at natlab.research.philips.com
phone  (work): 040 27 42674
Ordina TA,
Science Park Eindhoven 5602, Postbus 293, 5600 AG Eindhoven
e-mail : jean-paul.saman at ordina.nl
phone  : 040 2601200
fax    : 040 2601199