[vlc] communicating to VLC under Windows

Daniel Sadoc Menasche sadoc at land.ufrj.br
Tue Jun 3 22:43:34 CEST 2003

Hi people,

Please, I would like to know what's the best interprocess comunication
mechanism to send video data to VLC under Windows.

I have the following system architechture:

video server -> network (udp) -> video client -> (?) -> VLC

I would like to know what's the best thing to use in (?).

I've considered the following possiblities:

(a) http - the problem is that it seems that VLC has an internal mechanism
in order to control the http flow so that if the stream is slow, packets
are discarded. I wouldn't like to pass through this mechanism.

(b) udp - I wasn't able to use it!

(c) stdin - is it possible to have something like

cat file.mpg | vlc -

in Windows?

Thanks a lot!

Regards,