[vlc] re : Re: Link-local multicasting still not working

gbazin at altern.org gbazin at altern.org
Fri Jun 6 10:46:50 CEST 2003

>I asked a question about problem with ipv6 link-local
>multicasting and client not connecting to udp6:@
>[ff02::1:3:1]. I got it "working" with udp6:@
>[ff02::1:3:1%eth0] syntax, atleast client starts without
>error messages. Im using 0.6.0-test1 vlc (newest i could >find for IPAQ)

After some research, I found this in the MSDN:

"If you are sending or connecting to a scoped address, then sin6_scope_id can be left unspecified (zero). If you are binding to a scoped address, then sin6_scope_id must contain a non-zero value and specify a valid interface number or site identifier."

A link-local address being a scoped address that will explain why you need to pass the %eth0 parameter.

>I'm thinking am i misunderstood link-local multicast
>addresses is that ff02::1:3:1 proper address address?

I think so.

>Any ideas why client doesnt receive stream. Both hosts can
>ping each other. And if I ping ff02::1:3:1 from client
>machine i get reply from server, so server should be in
>that multicast group.

Don't know much about IPV6 but could this be a routing problem ? Also are you sure that it is actually the server that answers the ping on the multicast address ? I might be wrong but I thought the server didn't have to join the multicast group (only clients do)... or maybe vls does make the server join the group even though it isn't necessary.

--
Gildas