[vlc] Re: re : Re: Link-local multicasting still not working

Joni Kaki neurocid at edu.lahti.fi
Fri Jun 6 11:20:06 CEST 2003

Quoting gbazin at altern.org:

> >addresses is that ff02::1:3:1 proper address address?
> I think so.
> >Any ideas why client doesnt receive stream. Both hosts can
> >ping each other. And if I ping ff02::1:3:1 from client
> >machine i get reply from server, so server should be in
> >that multicast group.
> Don't know much about IPV6 but could this be a routing problem ? Also
> are you sure that it is actually the server that answers the ping on the
> multicast address ? I might be wrong but I thought the server didn't
> have to join the multicast group (only clients do)... or maybe vls does
> make the server join the group even though it isn't necessary.

Atleast on it can be seen on server tcpdump and the reply is coming from server
link-local address ff80::2e0:3ff:fe05:4b4c... and for testing purpose i removed
all other host (excluding server and client) from this link.

I think that problem could be that client cannot join in ff02::1:3:1 multicast
group, i dont know the reason for that. There must be a way to tell vlc to join
in the group.

 -Joni